Vegan What I Ate for Thanksgiving 2015

As you can see my video posting is a little ahead of my blog posting, so bear with me readers! I'm finally getting the posts to match up with the videos I've had posted for a while now,  but better late than never right? ( :

So just as I find it interesting to see what other fellow vegans eat in a day, I also am interested to see what they eat during the holidays, specifically for meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas. So that's what I'm sharing with you today, what I ate for Thanksgiving.



As you'll see below, I had two Thanksgiving feasts, one for lunch with my husband's family and one for dinner with my family. And although it was a lot to try to cook all the food for both feasts that morning, it was well worth it...and the fact that I didn't have to cook at all the next day because we had so many leftovers!

So in case you're wondering, when we go to family gatherings like Thanksgiving, our standard protocol is that we make and bring our own food. I don't expect my in-laws or even my own parents or grandparents to make food that caters to my restrictive gluten-free, vegan, no-GMO, no refined sugar diet. But sometimes my family members are sweet enough and know me well enough that they can make me small little side dishes or special little desserts that fit all my picky diet needs and for them I am so thankful.

When it comes to deciding what to eat for holiday meals I always try to find foods that are similar to what the rest of the group will be eating, so if everyone is having turkey, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole with rolls, I won't be coming in with spaghetti or burritos. Trust me, I've tried this and it just feels weird. The smells don't match up and the flavors are just all wrong when you're eating something so different than everyone else. But maybe it doesn't bother you, you could eat whatever, wherever. For me I love making "classic" dishes but in vegan ways so that it feels like I'm taking part in the tradition, but in a vegan way.

With that in mind let me show you what I had to eat this Thanksgiving...


No time for the video? Here's a picture breakdown and list of the food I ate:


Lunch: Vegan Cheesy Pasta (cheese recipe found here), sautéed mushrooms,
organic mashed potatoes with vegan butter. To tell you the truth, the pasta was
a bit dry and I needed something green (broccoli?) or orange (butternut squash?), 
maybe I'll get it down next year.  Usually we only do one feast so this
meal was a stretch for me.


Dinner: My "Vegan Cheesy Casserole" with rice, vegan cheese, potatoes, 
broccoli, carrots and tofu. A side of organic green beans, a gluten-free vegan
Schar "Ciabatta Roll" and a homemade sweet potato casserole my
awesome aunt made for me and the girls with Dandies (vegan) marshmallows,
Lakanto sugar, and Earth Balance vegan butter. Yum! This dinner was
my favorite feast of the day!


Happy Thanksgiving from our green family. What did you eat? Post it below!

The author

Latest News on Celebs

You may love