How to Make Large Tissue Flowers

For years I have loved tissue paper pom poms, as you may have seen in both girls' rooms decor as well as for their birthday parties. But when we decided to gift Avery with a "big girl room" for her 5th Birthday, I knew I wanted to change up my usual pom pom decor. But as you can see I didn't stray too far, and instead of hanging pom poms, I created a tissue paper flower mural on the wall to match her fun and floral comforter.


And since I couldn't find a tutorial to really guide me through making these, I decided to make my own that way you can give them a try too! I love them as wall decor, but they could also be used as table centerpieces, or as large "bows" for presents, truly the skies the limit.

Here's the supplies you will need for this project:

*Tissue paper. For this project I wanted some specific colors of tissue paper so I headed over to Papermart.com as opposed to shopping at my local craft stores because their color selection was pretty minimal. As you can see from the picture here, they have over 70 colors of tissue paper to choose from which is great, but also makes it a bit difficult to choose from since there are SO many choices, and it's hard to tell if the color in the picture will match the look you are going for. But either way, they were a great site to use. I also liked their large sheets of tissue paper. The size I ordered are 20" x 30". 



The specific pack I got was called, "Matte/Matte Mini Pack (meaning it's matte on both sides)" and it only cost $2.50 per pack and I got 24 sheets per pack, a pretty good deal if you ask me. Here's the colors I ordered that you can see in my flowers:
  • White
  • Coral (2 pks.)
  • Island Pink
  • Teal
  • Midnight Blue
  • Aquamarine (2 pks.)
  • Light Gray
Now I ordered way too much, I even ordered 2-3 other packs but I didn't like the colors so I didn't use them. It's always better to spend a few extra dollars and have extra than run out. Now I have extra for the next time I feel like making tissue flowers...um Mila, want some in your room too? ( :

Now before beginning the flowers, there's some prep work that needs to be done: 




  1. Trace the petal templates, rectangle shape (for crumbling later), and the circle (used for providing stability if hung on the wall) onto posterboard and cut them out.
  2. Gather your tissue paper and decide on the flower color choices. I did a total of 9 flowers (2 big pink, 2 big teal, 2 medium coral and 3 medium gray).
  3. Decide on your "inside color", I kept this consistent on all the flowers because that's what the flowers were like on Avery's comforter, so feel free to keep the colors the same or change them to suit the look you are going for.
  4. Once you know the inside color, you will use the rectangle template 
Now you're ready to start your first flower: (Be sure to watch the video for more picture details on how to make the flowers!)


  1. Begin by tracing the large flower petal template onto the tissue paper with 3 layers and folded in half to get 6 petals
  2. Now trace the medium flower petal template onto the tissue paper with 3 layers and folded in half to get 6 petals as well.
  3. Now trace the small flower petal template onto the tissue paper with 2 layers and folded in half to get only 4 petals.
  4. Next trace 9 of the rectangle templates onto the tissue paper that you want to be the inner most circle of the flower (later it will be crunched up and glued on). Cut out the rectangles and set them aside. 
  5. Now cut out the large, medium and small flower petals from the tissue paper.
  6. Then it's time to start forming your flower. Begin with smallest flower petals and start grouping them together like you are making a bouquet. Allow them to form a stem at the bottom of the the grouping. Also, fan them out and cup them up to look like a flower (as opposed to flat or pointing down petals). 
  7. Now use some tape and tape around the bottom of the flower "bouquet" to keep it all in place. I usually used 2-3 pieces. 
  8. Next repeat the same steps for the medium flower petals, grouping them together in a bouquet and fanning them out. I like to see it like a four leaf clover at first, and then add the last 2 petals opposite each other in two of the corners of the petals to make 6 altogether. Then tape the base and bottom of the "bouquet".
  9. Next repeat the same steps with the large flower petals, also using 6 petals total and then tape the bottom. Now is a good time to turn on your hot glue gun.
  10. Now trim down each of the bouquet stems so they are much shorter little stumps. They will be glued like nesting dolls into each other and work better when the base is shorter.
  11. Now you are ready to assemble the flower. Begin by crumpling up the rectangle tissue paper template that will make the center of your flower. Next, using your hot glue gun, apply some glue to the inside of the smallest flower petal bouquet and quickly place the crumpled center in place. Add more glue as needed to keep it in place. 
  12. Now we are going to start working our way out to the larger petals of the flower, so get your medium size flower petal bouquet and prepare to place the small flower petal bouquet on top of it. Then using your hot glue gun, apply some glue to the center of the medium flower bouquet and then place the small flower bouquet on top. Press and hold the petals from the top and bottom at the middle to secure all layers.
  13. Then repeat the same steps with the larger flower petal bouquet, by hot gluing the medium flower petal bouquet inside of it as well. 

You're flower is now done! If you plan to hang your flower on the wall (as opposed to a centerpiece) follow the next step:
  1. Using one of the circle templates you originally cut out, hot glue it onto the back of the flower holding it down from the center and back. Add more glue as needed so it serves as a secure base for the flower.
  2. Now you are ready to hang the flowers on the wall. I used 2 push pins for each flower and placed them behind the small petals, one of the top (middle) and one on the bottom (middle) of the flower so it was secure in the wall.

Now repeat all steps 8 more times...you may want to find a good show on Netflix for this one!

When it comes to hanging them all on the wall and creating the "final grouping" of the flowers feel free to play around. I moved mine around tons of times. Do I have tons of push pin holes all in my wall now? Yes, but they are mainly covered up by the flowers and when these do come down we can simply patch the holes in the wall and call it good. 



That's about it, how I made large tissue flowers for Avery's room. Hope you can give them a try as well!


If you give them a try, tag me on Instagram @ashleysgreenlife!

The author

Latest News on Celebs

You may love