Gluten-Free, Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits

It's no lie, I love baked breakfast foods. Pancakes and biscuits are truly my favorites. Perhaps it's because those were one of the first things I learned how to make in my high school "home economics" class. Either way, since going gluten-free, vegan and decreasing my sugar intake, I figured those yummy comfort foods would be out for me. But with some healthy swaps and some creative tinkering of the recipes, biscuits and pancakes are both back in my diet. Click here for my go-to pancake recipe. And keep on reading for that biscuit recipe.


My favorite thing about these biscuits is the sneaky sweet potato ingredient that's added in, which not only gives it great flavor, but it also increases the nutritional content and fiber of the recipe, win win biscuit lovers.  Feel free to use fresh baked sweet potatoes, but to help save time, I like to use this canned organic sweet potato puree.



Something that really helped me turn the corner in getting this recipe to look like biscuits (not flattened pancakes as they previously did) was to use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free One-to-One Baking Flour. So instead of using a variety of gluten-free flours to take the place of whole wheat flour, I just used one. So for those of you who can eat wheat, give this recipe a try with your traditional whole wheat flour and see how it turns out, it should hopefully work just fine. And to my gluten-free friends, enjoy not using 4 flours to make one recipe!



Enough talking, let's get right to that recipe...

Gluten-Free, Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits
Inspried by: http://healthyalamode.com/2013/11/sweet-potato-biscuits/

Makes 13-15 biscuits




Video of how to make them:



Steps:
1. Combine the gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl


2. In a separate bowl combine the butter and Lakanto sugar.


3. Now add the 2 cups of sweet potato puree, followed by the brown rice syrup.



4. Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.


5. Now scoop out some of the biscuit dough into a measuring cup around 1/4-1/3 cup or onto your hands and make into a small ball. Push it down slightly till it resembles a biscuit shape.


Then place on a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Now bake the in the oven at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.


6. Once done take out and let them cool.

Despite looking somewhat like cookies, they actually taste really good!
So if the cracks on the top bother you, just add some toppings and eat up,
you won't even notice.


8. Then top with your favorite vegan butter and jelly or whatever you like to use on biscuits.


Yum!
9. To keep them fresh, I store them in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.


Feel free to cut the recipe in half, this is a large recipe that my girls and like to have throughout the week as snacks.

If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @ashleysgreenlife  ( :
Until next week, happy baking!

The author

Latest News on Celebs

You may love