How the 5 Second Rule Changed My Life

You guys know I love a good motivational book, and I have an awesome one to share with you today... The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins! Since learning about it, I’ve applied “the five second rule” to help me get motivated to tackle my big goals, make better food choices, to connect more with my kids, and have courage to say what needs to be said. How can it help you? Let’s find out in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...go!

The concept behind the book is that anytime you feel an instinct to act or you feel like you should take action towards a goal, you countdown: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then you physically start to move or go or whatever will bring you closer to completing that task. The science behind it is that it takes about 5 seconds for your brain to start talking you out of the idea/action/instinct you have so in order to help keep you safe (it's main job). But when you focus on the counting down you distract your brain and instead focus in on the action and that's when you can make some pretty profound changes in your life.



(Image source)

Personally I really loved the idea that no matter where we are at in our life, there's always going to be things we don't feel like doing. I mean who really feels like climbing out of their cozy bed at 4:45 each morning to go workout? I know I don't on most mornings, but I do it (thanks to a little help now from the 5 second rule) so that I can accomplish the health goals I've set for myself. The same can apply to all those little things that pop up throughout the day that we have no desire to do but know that we should do like putting away the laundry, setting our phone down to go play with our kids, and making a healthier food choice even though we feel like we deserve a treat after our long day.


In today's video I'm going to share more about how I have used the 5 Second Rule to change my life and how you can do it too.





Share below, if you're new to the concept, how do you think you could implement the 5 Second Rule? Or if you've already read the book, in what ways have you used the rule to make changes in your life? Happy counting greenies.


The author

Latest News on Celebs

You may love